Earlier this week, a press preview of Diablo 3 revealed a number of controversial features that are to be included in the upcoming title. One that’s causing a particular stir online is the planned presence of an in-game facility to trade virtual goods for real-world cash.
![]() |
| Diablo 3, upcoming from Blizzard. via Blizzard.com |
This raises a number of concerns—some of which are undoubtedly valid— but we shouldn’t be surprised that this is happening. The way that games are monetised is changing and, whilst there are better and worse examples to be found, there’s no reason that this trend can’t ultimately be a good thing for both the industry and us gamers who are putting down the cash for the end product.
There are however two parts to this discussion, and it will be split amongst two posts. The first, below, is about the changing monetisation of games—that is, how we pay for them. The second, to follow, will be about content and the concept of virtual ownership—that is, what are we paying for? We’ll come back to Diablo 3 more specifically in the second part.
A changing economic landscape
The last few years have seen some fascinating developments in retail models within the games industry. The first real surprise for many was the ‘free-to-play’ concept having such an enormous amount of success, particularly for Turbine Inc, who kick-started the trend with Dungeons and Dragons Online. Previously charging customers $15 a month, in 2009 DDO went free-to-play, opening up instead an in-game store with a 'micro-transaction' model. Players could pay small amounts of real cash for items to make their experience a little smoother; new content and quests; pure vanity features; or simply pay nothing and experience the basic game at their own pace for zero cost.
In the months following the transition to free-to-play, DDO saw a five-hundred percent increase in revenue. Later, Turbine switched another major MMO, Lord of the Rings Online, to free-to-play. That game saw revenues triple in a short space of time.
![]() |
| Lord of the Rings Online from Turbine. via lotro.com |
The casual market has also seen explosive earnings using more-or-less the exact same model. Games like Farmville offer free entry to anybody, with the option to pay for various content (usually to speed up progression) always available. And now Valve's online shooter, Team Fortress 2, has also gone free-to-play; an in-game store sells items that would otherwise take time to find and unlock. With other online shooters following the same model, as well as strategy games, racing games, or sports sims all having free-to-play (with micro-transaction income stream) titles, it doesn't look like there's any kind of game that can't be sold this way.
The analysis of why all of this has worked so well is probably itself worthy of discussion, but I'm not really going to touch on it here. I'm more interested in the reaction to this amongst the wider gaming community.
A distrust of monetised content
Despite the obvious popularity of this sales model with many paying customers, a significant number of people maintain a negative outlook on these new ways of paying for games. For some, the micro-transaction concept is an anathema to gaming. For some, even the concept of paid DLC is treated with suspicion and scorn.
Probably the biggest reason for this view is that paid content (beyond the initial outlay) often seems deceitful in some way, as if the publisher is trying to trick us somehow or rip us off. This is sometimes valid. Doubtless there are games available that obscure their pricing model behind a web of virtual currencies, arbitrary limits, and confusing payment options. There are also increasingly transparent DLC packages where a feature-complete game has been artificially butchered to keep something back for the download market a few months later.
Underpinning all of this is the worry that we don’t know the total cost at the point of sale. When I bought a traditional game in the past it cost me forty quid—and I knew that I would never pay another penny. There was something satisfying about having everything I needed in my hands; the sense of value in the product, the feeling of ownership. The same game, which now has four later upgrades that cost five pounds each, just doesn’t seem as tidy. It’s not just a question of price, it’s a question of knowing that I don't have everything when I first hand over my cash. It’s not exactly rational, but then consumer spending rarely is.
But is there any real reason to dislike DLC or in-game stores that use real money, just by virtue of what they are? I don't think so. If what's on offer represents a good value proposition, then great. And if not, I simply won't buy it. That's just the same as with any purchase; and it doesn't require me to get angry about it.
Problems creep in where consumers don't feel that they have a genuine choice about whether to buy something or not. For example: a paid upgrade that forces customers to buy it or be prohibited from playing equally with those that do. There's a perfectly rational reason to dislike that sort of thing. But we’re getting into evaluating content; more on this in Part 2.
![]() |
| Call of Duty: Black Ops. Can I really play this online properly without buying the ongoing DLC? |
For now, I think it's enough to say that we shouldn't be afraid of games that ask us to pay in different ways. We should evaluate each purchase on its own merits, and try to understand what the asking price really is when we pick up a new game. If that's confusing and vague, or we don't see a good reason to dip into our wallets for more content, then the developer has failed. But when games do this right, they can represent value to a range of different players. If the price ticket versus what's on offer represents good value to you, there's nothing wrong with paying for it. Again, we'll talk about what sorts of things you are actually buying and whether these are sensible purchases later.
Let's see it from their perspective
The other facet to this debate is that games increasingly have to work like this. From a developer's point of view, it’s just not ideal any more to charge everybody the same price in a single hit, then have sales go quiet. Games have such a short tail in the retail market that eking out returns on a title (which can cost millions to produce and span multiple fiscal years) is important to long-term stability for the company that produces it.
Let's also think about the consumers themselves. We are a diverse bunch. Some of us like certain games, and some of us like different ones. Critically, this divergence in taste has a direct feed into our wallets. What I will happily pay for a given game is not necessarily the same as what somebody else will.
As a developer, when you have one customer over here who would only pay twenty pounds for your game, and one over here who would fall in love with it and spend hundreds, charging them both forty pounds is a thorny proposition. One probably won’t buy it at all or will buy it pre-owned—resulting in the same money (i.e. none) in your pocket. And you’ve lost some potential revenue from the other.
![]() |
| Some players have spent more on Farmville than any premium retail game. |
The free-to-play, micro-transaction model instead lets those who want to invest endlessly in your product do exactly that, and at the same time you might even entice in plenty of curious others, some of whom will end up spending a little anyway. There are of course difficulties here (mostly around quickly gaining a critical mass of paying customers to cover development cost) but I think that many developers are starting to see the appeal in this way of doing things.
Which brings us back around to Blizzard, and Diablo 3. Blizzard know all about selling their games in different ways. They release huge-selling retail products (like Starcraft 2 – moving 1.5m copies during its first two days on sale) and run the worlds most successful MMORPG (World of Warcraft) on a subscription model. They sell virtual content (such as vanity pets for your online WOW character) online in their web store. They have recently made World of Warcraft free-to-play up to a certain level. And now they plan to monetise the trading of items in Diablo 3.
I’ll talk about the issues around buying these different types of content, and more importantly, what exactly I think the changing way we pay for it all actually means to us gamers, in Part 2.




Although it shocks me to say it, the current eurogamer podcast has a very intelligent, interesting and informative discussion about the Diablo III model for in game real money auction houses. It's well worth listening too I have to say, it certainly made me think about all this in a different light. It sort of puts what Valve have done with the team fortress 2 "hat shop" into some perspective as well.
ReplyDeleteIt's tough to define why paid DLC can either feel like a great addition to a game (e.g. Battlefield Vietnam) or can feel like the publisher is making you pay for something that should have been in the original game (e.g. Fifa's MyLiveSeason). To me good DLC should be sufficiently different from the original offering for you to feel 'yes this is worth it'.
ReplyDeleteIn terms of Blizzard I don't have a problem with them setting up the real money auctions - as can be seen with items in other MMOs, there is a market for these kinds of cash auctions that will take place outside of the game according to demand, so if the developer wants to facilitate that i think they are well within their rights - why should someone else profit from their IP?
With premium games publishers having to compete with 69p app games and free browser games, they need to get as much cash as possible from their user base. Working out how to do this without the customer feeling ripped off and losing their loyalty is the challenge for the industry.
I mentioned MyLiveSeason as something that felt like a rip off (probably because NBA2K11 offers the same idea for free) but in contrast i though FIFA's Ultimate Team was a perfect microtransaction model - free to download and start but leveraging a kind of Panini Stickerbook / pro evo masterleague model with buying, swopping and trading players. I probably spent as much on that as i did on the game itself but I had no problem shelling that cash out because it was a totally new experience, very distinct from the main game.
Good article, look forward to part 2
Great post Beardy!
ReplyDeleteI blogged my own thoughts on the Diablo III announcement the other day - http://killerbeesgaming.blogspot.com/ - but you've come at this from a slightly different angle, which I like.
Personally, I think the risks posed by new payment models are twofold:
1) It devalues games.
This is an argument Nintendo's Satru Iwata has put forwards, and he's faced a certain amount of criticism for it, but I think he does have a point. If I have to spend £40 on a game, I make sure I take the time to read reviews, play demos and research it to make sure it's something I will like. Then, having bought it, I'll usually make sure I invest the time to get the most out of it - I try to complete all my games by at least getting to the end of the story or campaign or whatever.
Super-cheap 59p games just feel so much more disposable. I end up buying stuff, playing it for an hour and then never going back to it. Perhaps some would argue that's a good thing - it's a low cost, low risk strategy and overall, if I spend £40 on a load of cheap titles, I'll probably get more hours of entertainment out of them collectively than I would with one £40 shooter which is over and done with inside 7 hours.
But it's the perception of value for money - my feeling of satisfaction (or otherwise) - that's important to me. iOS games like Cut the Rope and Cover Orange are fun enough, but I never felt satisfied by them and I doubt I'll buy the recently announced Cut the Rope sequel. But Uncharted 1 and 2 - superb games that were both very satisfying and I can't wait to spend £40 on the next one.
Maybe you could say I've got my "money's worth" in all those titles - and perhaps that's true, but the throwaway nature of cheap iOS games means there's very little IP or developer loyalty there. I'd consider anything PopCap makes, but there's no other casual game developer I would particularly rate. Likewise, I did enjoy Angry Birds, but I've exhausted it now. The game doesn't have the depth to keep me interested in the franchise. I just don't need any more of it.
It may be massively popular and profitable now, but I think it will be short-lived. It won't be a gaming touchstone; a reference point like Mario or Halo. It'll be a forgotten footnote in 5 years time.
2) It divides markets:
You argue this point well above. The Blops map packs are a great example - gamers feel obliged to buy the maps to keep playing at the same level with their friends. But this also works both ways - I certainly gave up playing Blops once the map packs started arriving because I didn't see them as good value. Missing out increased my sense of dissatisfaction and I basically just gave up playing the game.
Compare and contract DICE's approach with making the map packs for BFBC2 part of the "VIP" programme, so everyone with an online pass gets them for free - included in the price of a new copy of the game - and the community remains much more cohesive and therefore more fun to be a part of.
For me, this difference in approach is one of the key reasons I'll be buying Battlefield 3 over MW3 this autumn.